Halloween is almost here and how quickly it has crept up! If you are throwing a party, whether for adults, kids, or a mix, you want to serve some ghoulish treats. And for dessert, you want to really make an impression with a great cake. One theme that is easy to go with for your dessert and will look great in your glass cake stand is a graveyard cake. This particular recipe makes a pumpkin spice cake with a chocolate glaze, perfect flavors for the fall!
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 4 cups cake flour, plus more for dusting
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups canned solid-pack pumpkin
- Bleeding Chocolate Glaze
- Espresso Shortbread Headstones
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9 by 13 bake pan. Line it with parchment paper with a butter lining and dust with flour.
Now you can whisk your flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves all together in a bowl. Put butter and sugar in a separate bowl, using an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until pale and fluffy, then add eggs, flour, and buttermilk slowly. Add the pumpkin last and beat until it’s perfectly combined.
Pour the batter into the pan and bake until the outside is golden and your cake tester comes out of the middle clean. About 40 minutes should do it. After it cools, pour the warm chocolate over the cake as a glaze so it drips down the sides. Let it stand at room temperature and when cool, add the headstones and you are ready to serve in your glass cake stand!